Thursday, July 11, 2013

I know, it's a burning question

So, yesterday I shared with you how Tippy Stockton Jewelry came to be.  Today I'm going to share with you how I came up with the name.  I know, it's something you've all been waiting to hear.  I'm sure you've spent hours wondering, right?  It's a simple answer, but you'll have to read on.

Back in the early 2000's, a few friends and I decided to start a book club.  Our kiddos were still pretty young, we all loved to read, and it just seemed like the right thing to do . . . Oprah had her book club, so why not.  I have a terrible memory for "real" details, and I can honestly say I don't remember the name of the book.  It could have been an Elizabeth Berg book - she was one of our favorite writers.  Anywho, we read a book about a young lady who was venturing out to write her very first book.  It was a smaltzy book, one in which she really wanted to write about real life things that were going on in her circle of friends.  BUT, she didn't want them to know it was she who was dishing on them.  So she came up with a way to have a pen name . . . okay, are you ready for it???  This is the big reveal . . . do you want to give me a hint on how she came up with her pen name?  Okay, sorry - like you can just jump in here and answer that stupid question.  She came up with her name by . . .





Oh, that's me sitting on the lawn of the first house I lived in, and then that's my Nanny pushing me in the blue carriage around our yard on 9 Stockton Street, Brentwood, NY.  Ah, that's one part of my name.  The first street I lived on.  Well what about Tippy?  Well, if you must know, Tippy was the name given our very first dog - he was a black lab mix with with white socks, and a white tip on his tail.  Get it, Tippy??? 

So there you go.  While at this one particular book club night, we went around the room and my pen name would have been Tippy  Stockton.   I have to say, I thought it was pretty cute.  Tuck that one in the memory bank.  

Fast forward to 2009 - I have selected the name of my little company, had the business cards printed, started telling everyone I knew what I was doing.  I was so proud, so excited and thought I had a pretty cute thing going on with my cute company name until . . . a young girl (and I wish I knew who and where this said girl was) says to me, "is that your STRIPPER name".  WHAT???  Stripper name???  What do you mean?  First dog, first street???  OMGosh, now I'm completely embarrassed - I had no clue.  So let me set the record straight.  NO, I'm not a stripper - seriously :) - I still go by my original story of how I came up with the name - I have witnesses who can attest to that, ahemmmmm . . . Kimberly :)

So now that you know, how are you feeling?  I feel good that I was finally able to put this to bed.  The burning question has been answered, I'm still here to talk about it, and you all are up to speed. 

Okay, I gotta get cracking.  I have lots to do before the REALLY BIG ANNIVERSARY SALE BEGINS TOMORROW.  Over and out . . . xo

1 comment:

  1. Well Miss Patricia, I hope this comment will post. My other comment is not to be found. In any case, you know I adore Tippy Stockton Jewelry and the woman who created it. Now if you have taken a creative break maybe I can decide, again, which pretties I should order! Oh, and in the files of trivial and useless knowledge, my first dog was a beagle named "Tippy."
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete

Bookmark and Share