Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Dad and Me, 1961


It seems that you never really comprehend the relationship that you have with your Daddy until it's too late. P. Joseph Kelly, my dad was with us for 76 years, almost to the day. He passed away just 4 days after his 76 birthday. That was 3 years ago. I think about him everyday and wonder what life would be like if he hadn't been stricken with Cancer in 2002. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about how I could have made his life better in the last few days of his life. I suppose being there would have helped. I didn't make it to be with him as he took his last breath; that is something that I will always feel guilty about. But today is Father's Day . . . a day to reflect on all of the good things Dad did for me. Dad spent countless hours making sure that I knew about our Irish heritage; where our family came from. I'm so thankful for that. I'll never forget the day he walked me down the aisle at my wedding when he pressed his prized 4-leaf clover charm into my hand. Then the day that I became a Mother. How he held his 1st grandchild, my son in his arms. How he taught Kellan to play baseball. So many memories. I wish I had another hour with him to thank him to everything he did for me. I'll just have to tell him when I see him again some day.
John and Kellan, 1988


And to the next generation of Dad's. My sweet husband John, and my amazing Son Kellan! Thank you dear John for giving me life's sweetest gift. Happy Father's Day to you and to all the Dad's out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share