Monday, August 8, 2011

Sunroom Redeux . . .

According to the "URBAN DICTIONARY", redeux means, 1. another way to remix, 2. a way to reduce. Well, that would definitely be the definition of what happened in my Sunroom in the past week. Outside of a new chaise (pronounced "shay"), I managed to repurpose nearly everything else from the old room. One thing that I've learned from living in this old home is that paint is my friend. I would really hate to count the amount of times we have painted. But honestly, it's the cheapest and most bold way of making a huge change to any room. And friends, I'm never shy about color either. Case in point . . . the new Sunroom color is Woodlawn Blue by Benjamin Moore. I love BM paints. We painted over walls that were an Olive color before, and we only had to put one coat on. The paint is a tad bit more expensive than other brands, but definitely worth it in the long run.

The other project that I took on was painting an old wood shelf that I've had for a few years. It sits right next to the door going out to the deck and my Studio. This shelf is the catch all for things like garden gloves, plant markers, rose clippers, keys, garden books and extra plant pots. Along with some of my most prized knick knacks, I knew that I needed to clean this shelf up and give it whole new look. The before picture is below - a mauvey brown. I purchased this shelf from Joanie, the Weed Lady. When she retired, I was quick to ask if I could buy this from her. At the shop, it housed all of the ribbons. It's the perfect size and I knew it would fit perfectly next to the door. But the color was all wrong - I lived with it this way for several years, but it was time to give it a new life. So with my Annie Sloan Paint in hand, I mixed up a concoction of Old World White and a smidge of Duck Egg (aqua/green) to give it a color that would blend in with my walls. I'm going to take it one step further in the next few days by using a bit of dark wax to give it some definition. But, all in all, I'm pretty happy with the outcome!


Before



After

One of my most prized possessions is an oil painting my Mom did years ago. It was always in a color palette that I didn't use, but now I have the perfect spot.





It was tough to get the lighting right because after all, it is a Sunroom.





This chair will soon be replaced with a slipper chair.





The blank space above the buffet will be the perfect home for a sign by Pink Marmalade. I'll share photos of that when it comes. Oh, and the rug. How perfect is this? I love the geometric shapes, and the color is divine.



The chaise is quite comfortable I must say!



I retired my two-tier table from my show props. I've always loved this table that I picked up from the girls at Today's Country Store in Sumner. I'm so happy that I didn't give in to all the people who wanted to buy it.








I'm thinking that I might have to do a little reading today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share