Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's a Sure Thing at A Shore Thing . . .

About a month ago, I received a note from Melissa from A Shore Thing in Newburyport, MA. She is a new shopkeeper and was interested in selling my jewelry in her shop in this quaint, New England beach town. I gave her my phone number, and we chatted like we had known each other for years. After I hung up the phone, I went to do some research on Melissa's little shop, and low and behold, I see the logo above. My first thought was, "Oh my Gosh" - it's Tippy Blue! I know, I'm weird, but I felt like this could be the beginning of a really good thing. Later that day, I received my first order from A Shore Thing and I just know we're destined to be great friends from here on out. I had asked both Melissa and her partner Carol to send me a little background tidbits about themselves. I was so delighted to get to know these gals even more.


Melissa said: I know from the time I was a little girl, I was always rearranging furniture and loved to make things look pretty and arrange everything just so. So, it's been a natural path for me to have been in display merchandising for many years and now I can do it to my hearts content. Growing up, it was just my mother and myself and we did not have much BUT she was my biggest cheerleader (next to my wonderful sister who is 15 yrs. older and in college when I was 2) and always encouraged my creativity.

I confess I am a shopper and love to find different eclectic pieces and make it all tell a wonderful story in our vignettes around the shop.

This whole experience has truly been a dream come true...... Carol & Bill are wonderful !!!! and we all have our expertise and it's great been such a blast to just run with what we are all good at and feel comfortable with.


Carol said: I grew up in an artistic family. My brother is a writer and my Dad was an artist from the time he was a young boy, painting until he passed away at the age of 90 (www.normangautreau.net), so I grew up with a paintbrush in my hand, but I actually prefer photography these days. For many years, I was the Manager of Graphics Arts and Cartography and also chief photographer for a company in Boston. I took an early retirement in 2005. From there I went into being a full time caregiver for my aging parents. While on sabbatical, after my parents passing, Melissa approached me about opening a store like this. Of course, I jumped right on board! It sounded fabulous!! So, we planned A Shore Thing for almost a year, researching many seacoast towns on the North Shore of Boston, before deciding on Newburyport. A lot of thought was put into location, location, location! Newburyport is a WONDERFULLY New England seaport town that is active during all 4 seasons of the year with many festivals for every season, including Fall activities, one of which includes all of the stores decorating a scarecrow outside of their store! Christmas promenades with hors d'ouvres and cocktails, Spring and Summer "happenings", music on the waterfront, as well as many craft shows. There is always something going on in this vibrant town! We opened the doors on April 24, 2010....we recently had our ribbon cutting ceremony on Jun 3, 2010. Currently, other than working at the store, I "dabble" in many artsy fields: photography, painting, textiles, decorating, digital arts, graphic design, etc.


How could you not fall in love with this little seaside oasis???



Here's a few shots of the interior of the shop. One of the things that got me so excited about these girls was the fact that they love the look of Maine Cottage Furniture. They have been able to put their twist on it.

Here's a few of the pieces from Tippy Stockton that I sent them. I keep telling them that I am coming to see them. I'm thinking Fall . . . a New England Autumn trip. Hmmmmm, not a bad idea!!!







So, if you're in the area, drop by and say hello to Melissa and Carol @
A Shore Thing
1 Titcomb Street
Newburyport, MA 01950-4706
(978) 465-0833

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share